One of the toughest parts of the physical exam is remembering all of the routine shoulder maneuvers.
Here's a few mnemonics I shared that I use to help myself remember things:
- Flexion of the arm = Forward to the Face
- Internal Rotation of the arm = In handcuffs
- (alternatively, External Rotation = Execution of Ex-Convict)
- ADduction of the arm = ADDing to the midline
- Scarf sign = toss a scarf around opposite shoulder
- Supination = Holding a Bowl of "Soup"
- Pronation = Putting away Palm
- Range of Motion (and Impingement Signs)
- Neer = arm "Near" to the ear
- Hawkins = flap like a "Hawk"
- Apley scratch test = Applying Suntan lotion to back
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Jobe's Empty Can (duh!)
- Hornblower's (ditto!)
- Speed's = speedin' down the highway
- Labral Tear
- O'Brian = *Irish accent*
What, so O'Brien gets the thumbs down, but Leno gets a thumbs awp? I'm cryin' heah!!
- Gerber's lift off = wiping baby food off the back (okay, its a stretch, but you can't win 'em all!)
That's not my second opinion! :)