October 11, 2008

Pondering: on Medicine

I'm busy on the Medicine service right now. It's by far, my favorite rotation so far in my third year as a medical student -- and I've done a month of inpatient OB/GYN, Psychiatry, Surgery and Medicine so far!

Medicine contains enough of what I learned as a first and second year that I don't feel totally lost in a new world of procedures (uncomfortable bouts of standing and trying not to infect patients in GYN/Surg) or protracted interviews (with difficult formulations in psychiatry!) Inpatient Medicine adds on a whole new level of intensity in admitting patients from the Emergency Department and caring for patients in the Intensive Care Unit, transitioning them down to the Progressive Care Unit and then out into the world. Surgery does this as well, but the majority of my day was spent in the OR rather than the ER or on the wards. To be quite honest, my favorite days of surgery were on the days when our general surgeons weren't in the OR and I had time to round on my patients and figure out how to manage their problems.

That must make me totally IM in the Medicine vs Surgery battle...

No comments:

Post a Comment