October 03, 2006

Pop Culture Education: Brains and Balls



Pinky and the Brain educate the masses on the Anatomy of the Brain. I'll definitely be using this when we get into the neuro unit! :)

---------------------

And a more risque video... Rachel Gets Fruity for Testicular Cancer!
The music makes it seem as though it is not safe for work or school. I showed it to my group while doing a presentation on testicular self-exams (TSEs) and I justified it by saying "just thought you would rather hear about the exam from someone else." It is provocative in the thinking sense. ;)

The only catch is that the U.S. Preventative Service Task Force actually advises against the teaching of TSEs, because the cancer is uncommon and when detected early by the doctor, they have a good outcome. This seems a bit bizarre to me. If people are worried about their testicles, they should be told by their doctors what is unusual and when they should be checked by a professional.


I think it is a great thing to have these sorts of pop culture education moments. Let me know if you've seen any good ones too!

No comments:

Post a Comment