August 29, 2007

Ankle Sprain

Monday was my first day back at school and I've jumped headfirst into learning!

There was a case presentation on someone who fell down and broke their leg. Just a few hours after that, I was running around and I slipped off a stair and rolled my ankle. It was already weak to begin with because I had injured it before. Musculoskeletal problems and rehabilitation all of a sudden became more interesting to me. :-)

I applied the RICE treatment for my ankle on the first two days to control the swelling and pain.
R = Rest as much as possible
I = Ice, for 15 min, twice a day
C = Compression, with ACE wrap, wrapping twice around the foot first to secure it, then alternating in figure-8s around the foot, overlapping by at least 1/3
E = Elevation assists with drainage

My biggest question now is: what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Here are some of the exercises I am supposed to do twice a day as 3 sets. (Whoa! That's a lot more rehab than I expected.)
  • Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of surgical tubing around the ball of the foot with the injured ankle. Hold the other end of the tubing in your hand. Put your heel on the floor. Stretch the tubing by pushing down with your foot, the way you push on the gas pedal of a car.
  • Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tubing around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around the foot with the injured ankle. Stretch the tubing by pulling up with your foot (lifting up your foot), using your ankle, as if you were trying to pull the table toward you. (This motion is the opposite of trying to "step on the gas.")
  • Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tubing around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around the foot with the injured ankle. Stretch the tubing by moving your foot out to the side, away from the leg of the table.
  • Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tube around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around the foot with the injured ankle. Stretch the tubing by moving your foot to the middle, toward your good ankle.

Exercises and advice by "How to Care for Your Ankle Sprain" 10/1/2002. American Family Physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment