August 06, 2009

Pong's Postulates (I)

In the movie Pi, by Darren Aronofsky, a paranoid mathematic genius recites a near daily mantra:
Restate my assumptions:
One: Mathematics is the language of nature.
Two: Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge.
Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature.
Evidence: The cycling of disease epidemics;the wax and wane of caribou populations; sun spot cycles; the rise and fall of the Nile.

So, what about the stock market? The universe of numbers that represents the global economy. Millions of hands at work, billions of minds. A vast network, screaming with life. An organism. A natural organism. My hypothesis: Within the stock market, there is a pattern as well... Right in front of me... hiding behind the numbers. Always has been.
I found it to be an excellent, albeit strangely rigid way of honing in on a mission statement so to speak for this character. He proceeds from an axiom: math = nature, follows a logical set of basic principles and subsequently derives a set of values and his motivation for his current project. A way to predict the numbers in the stock market.

--------------------------

I would like to derive my own set of postulates.
A mantra that I can repeat to myself on a daily basis to remind myself of what keeps me going. My personal mission statement, if you will. The abstract version at least. If all goes well as I review my entire medically related personal history in preparation for the all-encompassing personal statement... I'll discuss each section in turn over the next week.

Pong's Postulates.
1) Health
Health is something we have until we notice that we don't. (or is it "aren't"?)
2) Illness
There's two types of illness: those we live with and those we don't.
3) Physicians
Doctors help people notice their diseases.
4) Primary Care/Prevention, Family Physicians
Primary Care helps people notice their health. Some doctors value long-lasting relationships with all sorts of patients, treating them as a part of a family-unit striving for health.
5) My Role. My Choice. My Calling.
My observational and problem-solving skills qualify me to be a great clinician, since you only see what you notice and what you notice is what you know.
My passion for science, my love of learning and my joy for sharing knowledge qualifies me to be an excellent educator in disease and prevention.
My strong sense of duty to help those in need, my commitment and my desire to make a difference in the lives of those I work with qualifies me to do hard work for the underserved and push for changes where they are needed most.

Therefore, I want to be a Family Physician -- an advocate, a coach, a guide, a mentor, a healer. It's almost like being married -- I want to be a part of my patients' long lives, through sickness and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment