January 18, 2007

Random Statistics about "Five"

"Did you know that each cigarette you smoke robs you of 5 minutes of your life?"

This is a statistic that I should have mentioned this past weekend when a friend of mine was chastising someone at a party for smoking. I didn't want to get too involved because I knew that it was a "downer" type of talk to be having at a fun birthday party... but it is important to realize how bad smoking can be, if not for yourself, but for those around you as well. It has been proven to exacerbate asthma. It can lead to lung cancer and emphysema or chronic bronchitis, two examples of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.)



Five is bouncing around in my head today.
Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious lung disease that has a chance of being "reactivated" after the initial infection.
So you have a 5% chance of getting reactivated TB in the first 2 years.
Then there is an additional 5% lifelong chance of reactivation
And for people infected with HIV, a "high-five" or 5+5% chance of being infected EACH YEAR!

That's all I got, folks. Hopefully I can spare some time to organize my thoughts better and write something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment