May 31, 2007

TSH effects: hyperTRICEPS

Since I'm on the topic of hyperthyroid, I thought I'd share a little mnemonic I just made about the steps of thyroid hormone synthesis that are affected by TSH stimulation.

HYPER TRICEPS
HYPERplasia of the follicle cells
Trapping
tRansport
Iodination
Conjugation
Endocytosis
Proteolysis
Secretion

Autoimmune hyperthyroid, aka Grave's Disease, creates antibodies that resemble TSH and trigger all of these steps willy-nilly without any regulation! This makes your follicular cells very hungry for iodine and they start sucking out all of their stored colloid and dumping the hormones out into the system.

I'm not going to bore you with all of the nitty gritty details. For that, you can go to Boron & Boulpaep or my favorite, Guyton and Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment