September 15, 2007

Family Medicine Interest Group T-shirts

We've got a Family Medicine Interest Group t-shirt competition and I thought I'd try my hand at some art. Our president came up with a great idea for a shirt; the back has a bunch of organ systems with our name in the middle. His original design for the front was an "evolution" of man from baby to geezer. It reminded me of an old riddle:
What walks on four legs in the dawn, two legs at noon and three legs at dusk?
Answer: Man. (Or Family Medicine. ;)


I modified his design by removing the intermediary figures and tossing in a sun and a moon. I like it a lot. So inspired, I tried to come up with some other ideas.
I searched through a bunch of clip art pictures on OpenClipArt.org for something that I could utilize and I came up with the funny idea for this one. I doubt our advisor would approve. :)


My last idea is still undeveloped. I wanted to try something Hawaiian, so I thought I'd go with the word "Ohana" to substitute for Family. My initial thought was to do something with Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. I kept trying to quell that. I thought about what Ohana meant... Here's what wikipedia had to say:

ʻohana means family in an extended sense of the term including both blood-related or extended. It emphasizes that family and friends are bound together and members must cooperate and remember one another.
... The root word "ʻohā" refers to the root or corm of the kalo, or taro plant (the staple "staff of life" in Hawaii), which Kanaka Maoli consider to be their cosmological ancestor.


Well, that flopped. I still have to figure out how to incorporate the idea of taro into Family. And Medicine. Hrm.

1 comment:

  1. In retrospect, my second idea was tasteless. It was the best I could do with the clipart images I found though.

    We settled on a much better design that can be seen @ http://uhfmig.googlepages.com/aboutus

    ReplyDelete