September 25, 2007

Medicine is a man-whore

For you aspiring pre-meds out there, heed this advice:
-get the training over with while you're young; don't take breaks (or alternatively, wait until you're a bit older)

-keep it in perspective. You are not a saint because you are a doctor (don't be arrogant and think more highly of yourself than you should). It is not a calling. See it as a stable, respectable, secure, job. Your work is valuable, but not more valuable than yourself, or your family.

-know the drawbacks, and balance those with the benefits of becoming a doctor today.

-the money *does* matter (both the student loans, and the eventual salary).

-don't sacrifice having children, visiting aging parents, or other significant life events in lieu of becoming a doctor. It will not be worth that sacrifice.

-Choose your specialty with care. Chose based on your personality...not based on what is most prestigious, what other people want you to do. Your specialty will determine your potential work environments, your pay, your lifestyle, and the number of years you spend 'training.'

-Finally, don't work too many hours. If you do, you'll be more tired, less healthy, and more likely to experience dissatisfaction and fatigue.
EM Physician makes some really good points with a healthy dose of good humor. I'm worried about a few of these things myself... I've been more aware of maintaining balance recently and I am so much happier for it. However, I have been rather dependent on my student loans for sustenance and I'm sure that this will come back to bite me. :-\

It's an interesting point to say that you should treat medicine as a man-whore. A seductive, back-stabbing, all-consuming vacuum. Don't fall in love with it or it will hurt you.

I'll do my best to keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment