September 06, 2007

Reflection on a reflection

I wrote an email out to the med school classes to recruit for a mentorship program. It was interesting, because I wrote as if you, my blog readers, were my main audience and apparently it was well-received. When I came to school today, two of my classmates came up to me and said "I read your email last night!"

They seemed excited about that for some reason. "Yeah, it was like a bedtime story for me..." one woman said. Whoa! Bedside tales by Yours Truly. "It was inspirational," said another. I was flattered. I didn't really expect that it would recruit more people to join the club; I just wanted to share my reasons for why I joined. I think that is my approach to a lot of things in life.

I thought I'd share it with you as well.

I had my first musculoskeletal CSP (clinical skills preceptorship) today and I was just thinking about what it means to be a preceptor. These doctors take time out of their busy schedules to help train us to become great doctors! They probably remember bumbling through the questions in the history and getting confused during the physical exam. All in all, having access to helpful preceptors so early in
our careers helps to ease us into our roles as confident providers.

Teaching is a great skill to have! You don't have to wait until you get your M.D. degree to make a difference in the training of future doctors. Mentoring is a skill that the Medical Student Mentorship Program fosters. With that in mind, I just wanted to remind you about MSMP's upcoming Mingler! This event will be taking place this Friday 9/7/07 at My University's Center 5:30-8pm. If you are curious, please come on down.

Your parking passes are valid on campus after 4pm!
If you need a ride, I'd be more than happy to take you there. Check out our website for contact info.

Mingler details: First we will meet in the meeting rooms on the third floor for some icebreakers to introduce the mentors to the potential mentees. Then we will adjourn to the Gameroom on the lowest floor for some pizza, salad and billiards/games.
Please RSVP if you are interested in attending. Also, we would like you to submit an
online MENTOR application by Saturday, 9/8/07 so we can have the mentor/mentee
matchups finished by Sunday.

Cheers,
Not My Second Opinion, MS-II, MSMP board



P.S. I know that this has been "club week" at school and there has been a lot of activity. You might be wondering why you should join yet another club. MSMP is unique among the interest groups because it extends beyond the medical school community and it is worthwhile! After all, it made a difference for me, since I'm a med student today. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment